- Cardiac Diagnostic Services
- Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG)
- Heart Valve Replacement
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A heart might need a surgical treatment if there are multiple or complete artery blockage or repair / replacement of valves or any of related complications etc. Heart bypass surgery can be used to treat heart disease when your coronary arteries are blocked. Your doctor may treat the problem by giving the blood a new pathway to the heart, bypassing the Blockage.
During coronary artery bypass graft surgery (also called CABG, or "cabbage"), a blood vessel is removed or redirected from one area of the body and placed around other area in order to "bypass" the blockages and restore blood flow to the heart muscle. This additional artery or vessel is called a graft. The surgeon decides which graft(s) to use, based on the location of the blockage, the amount of blockage, and the size of the patient's coronary arteries.
Heart bypass surgery is one of the most commonly performed CTVS surgeries in India with high success rate.
There are several types of bypass grafts used for heart bypass surgery. Internal mammary arteries (LIMA/RIMA , also called thoracic arteries).These are the most common bypass grafts used, as they have been shown to have the best long-term results. Else Saphenous veins are used.These veins are removed from your leg, and then sewn from your aorta to the coronary artery below the site of blockage or otherwise Radial artery is used .There are two arteries in the lower part of the arm, the ulnar and radial arteries. In many cases the radial artery is removed and used as a graft. In such cases most people receive adequate blood flow to their hand from the other artery
Beating Heart Surgery
"Off-pump" or beating heart surgery allows surgeons to perform surgery while the heart is still beating. The heart-lung machine is not used. The surgeon uses advanced operating equipment to hold portions of the heart and bypass the blocked artery. Meanwhile, the rest of the heart keeps pumping and circulating blood to the body. This beating heart surgery is now most commonly used especially for those patients who have an increased risk of complications from being placed on the heart-lung machine
Heart Valve Repair Surgery
The mitral valve is the most commonly repaired heart valve, but the aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid valves may also undergo some of these repair techniques as well.If your valve can be repaired, your surgeon will perform any of the following types of heart valve repair procedures.
• Commissurotomy. Fused valve leaflets are separated to widen the valve opening.
• Decalcification. Calcium deposits are removed making valve more flexible
• Reshape leaflets. If one of the leaflets is floppy, a segment may be cut out and the leaflet sewn back together. This procedure is called quadrangular resection.
• Chordal transfer. If the anterior leaflet of the mitral valve has prolapse , the chordae are transferred from the posterior leaflet to the anterior leaflet.
• Annulus support. If the valve annulus is too wide, it may be reshaped or tightened by sewing a ring structure around the annulus.
• Patched leaflets.The surgeon may use tissue patches to repair any leaflets with tears or holes.